August is for Peridot . . .

I think I’ve mentioned a couple times that I’m lucky to be a diamond girl. That is, I’m an April baby; making my birthstone diamonds. But this does not mean I can’t appreciate other gemstones just as much.

Peridot is the birthstone for August. It is one of the few gemstones that occur only in one colour . . . green. The intensity and tint of the green is dependent on how much iron is contained in the crystal structure. This is why some peridot gemstones are a pale apple green while others approach a darker olive brownish – green. The darker the colour, the more prized the peridot. I personally prefer a fresh, summer leaf colour for my peridot.
Peridot mainly comes from mines in Australia, Brazil, China, Egypt, Kenya, Mexico, Burma, Norway, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Sri Lanka and Tanzania. In North America, it is found in North Carolina, Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada and New Mexico. Peridots have also been discovered in meteorites. The largest cut peridot is a 310 carat specimen in the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC.

Peridot is considered by Egyptians to be a symbol of the sun. Historians have speculated that the fabled emeralds worn by Cleopatra were in fact peridots. Sorry Liz Taylor.
Peridot is the 16th anniversary gemstone. It is believed by some to protect against nervousness and help alleviate spiritual fear. It is thought to aid in heeling hurt feelings and bruised egos, incur strength and physical vitality, deliver a positive emotional outlook and help with liver and adrenal gland function. It is often worn to bring the wearer success, peace, good luck and to help his or her dreams come true.

I just think it looks pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment